Wednesday, December 21, 2011

OMG, where do I start!

Ok, so I really have to pick a day and blog on that day.  I have so much to update on and I don't know where to start!  I think I am going to have to write for several days in a row to catch up.

So, we got a Dairy Cow on November 28th!  We went and looked at her on the 21st at Perk Organic Dairy in Lewisburg. We also went to a Smooth Ambler Spirits.  I will talk about that in a bit!  We started hand milking her that evening, it took 2 hrs!  Yes, 2 hrs!  She has to be milked 2 times a day which will be about 6a and 6p.  We got up the next morning early, we were so tired and it was really cold.  On our way to the barn Mark said, "Who's idea was it to get a diary cow?"  FYI it was his!  Anyway that am milking took 1 hour and 45 minutes.....we are making progress.  That evening the milking to 1 hour and 30 min.  A milking machine was ordered promptly when we got back inside!  The machine came within 4 days and I have to say was the best invention in the whole wide world.  The actual milking process takes about 10 minutes. The cleaning process about 30.  She is a really great cow but we couldn't agree on a name so we just call her Brown Cow.
Just looking at the picture makes my hands hurt!


Mark and Ryan giving a thumbs up to the new machine!

We are currently getting about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons a milking.  All  the excess goes to the pigs.  I have also been making plenty of butter, cheese, yogurt and whipped cream.  Our morning coffee has never tasted so good, the fresh cream makes it amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment